About Me

My photo
I’m a diy, penny pinchin’, first time home owner, wife to my amazing helper of a husband, one sweet little type 1 diabetic daughter and one smart creative little boy(or should I say young man!). There isn’t a thing I won’t buy if I think I can make it myself. So I hope you enjoy my attempt to save a little money and share my attempts to make our house a home.

Shop adore:made

Friday, June 17, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap...Cheap and Easy just the way I like it!!!




We do laundry what seems like all day every day and now we are on an even tighter budget with me staying home. So I decided to do a little research and found out it is totally the thing to make your own laundry soap, and dirt cheap....I had to do some scouting for the products so for those of you in Bend I have done the hard work for you...leaving you no reason NOT to do it!

1/3 bar Fels-Naptha Walmart .97cents
1/2c. Washing Soda Walmart $2.12
1/2c. Borax Fredmeyer's 4.39(this was the tough one to find)

I followed these exact instructions and it was kind of fun:
http://thefrugalgirls.com/2010/08/how-to-make-homemade-laundry-detergent.html

I will warn you that once it sits for the 24hrs it does have an odd gel consistency, I stirred it up and funneled it into my container's and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

It is green(less chemicals, you can use an organic soap if you wish - google that) and affordable, 2 gallons(which is the recipe) cost a little less then a dollar according to my math :O

We used it and no laundry was harmed ;) who can't afford to NOT do this?! Me, me, me... and YOU!

Enjoy!

EXTRA CHEAP TIP: Soak wash cloth's in fabric softener wring out and use as a dryer sheet....one cloth should last 10-20 loads(wash when used up and re-peat!)and a $3 dollar bottle of softener should last almost a year!

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! I'm super excited about my gifted detergent and cannot wait to make some of my very own!

    ReplyDelete